The Little River is a river in Central Texas in the Brazos River watershed. It is formed by the confluence of the Leon River and the Lampasas River near Little River, Texas, in Bell County. It generally flows southeast for 75 miles until it empties into the Brazos River about 5 miles southwest of Hearne, at a site called Port Sullivan in Milam County.
The Little River has a third tributary, the San Gabriel River, which joins the Little about 8 miles north of Rockdale and five miles southwest of Cameron. Cameron, the county seat of Milam County and the only city of any significant size on the Little River, was established in 1846.
There was a fort here, built-in 1836, named Fort Griffin. Because of fights with Native Americans, early Texans settled near the fort. The railroad came to town in 1880 and the post office in 1886. By 1914, there were 250 inhabitants. The towns of Little River and Academy merged in 1989 to form Little River-Academy.